Fuji X-T1 firmware features
Here is a list of the new features that will be added in the firmware (taken from the Fujifilm website):
- Direct selection of AF Area
The update will let users select the focus area using the 4-way controller, without pressing the Fn key.
- Unlocked AE-L/AF-L buttons
The function of the AE-L/AF-L button is currently locked, but will be interchangeable, depending on the user’s preference.
- Variable Focus Area during MF
When working in Manual focus mode, the update will enable changing the size of the focus area during Instant AF with the AF-L button.
- Direct selection of Macro mode
In Autofocus mode, the update will enable the Macro function to be turned on or off, without accessing the pop-up menu screen.
- Q Menu customization
To make the Q Menu (used for quick access of frequently-used items) even more efficient, the update will allow its items and layout to be changed to the user’s preference.
- New video frame rates
As well as the existing 60fps and 30fps selections, 50fps, 25fps and 24fps options will be available with the update. 50fps and 25fps allow video editing in the PAL regions, such as Europe, without converting the frame rate. 24fps offers a cinema-like view.
- Manual shooting in Video mode
The update will enable ISO sensitivity selection prior to shooting videos, as well as the ability to adjust aperture and shutter speed during movie recording.
- Phase Detection AF support for Instant AF
In Instant AF mode, which is operated by pressing the AF-L button during manual focusing, the update will enable Phase Detection AF, providing faster focusing speeds.
- Interlocking of Metering and Focus areas
Users will be able to interlock the AF area position with the Metering area when Spot Metering mode is selected.
- Expansion of shutter speed in Program Shift mode
In the current Program Shift mode, the slowest-speed setting is 1/4sec, but this will increase to a maximum of 4secs.
Some additional features that will be included for the original black X-T1 is Natural Live view, high speed electronic shutter and a new film simulation Classic Chrome.
Best firmware update yet
Fujifilm must be listening to their customers because this X-T1 firmware update has some of the more requested features I had hoped for. I think the best features that Fujifilm put in this release are:
- Direct Selection of autofocus area. This means no more fumbling around pressing another button to enable the AF area selection. The 4 way button controller is another story but this will make it easy to just select the AF area you want.
- Interlocking the metering and focus area. A great feature when using spot metering and not have to meter/recompose/focus. I think this will be great for landscape photography.
This firmware update can’t get here fast enough. I had programmed the AF area selection to use the front button so I could quickly enable the function and then use the pad to move the selection area. Being able to bypass that step is going to be huge. I know a lot of people wanted this feature.
Hopefully there are some features you will be happy to have, if so, share it in a comment below.